Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply for Scholarships?
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for a scholarship through the CGA Educational Foundation:
- You must be a high school senior, college undergraduate or graduate student at the time you apply.
- You must be an employee, or a dependent son or daughter of an employee, of a CGA member company.
- You must have been employed or have a parent/guardian who has been employed by a single CGA member company for at least one year as of the April 1, 2018 deadline.
- You must be planning to enroll as a full-time undergraduate student for the following Fall and Spring terms. Some Piggyback scholarships allow part-time students to receive a scholarship. Click here to see if your employer offers part-time enrollment eligibility.
- You must be planning to enroll for either the following Fall and/or Spring terms if you are a graduate student.
- You or your parent/guardian must be employed at the time awards are announced.
What are the Details of the award?
There are a number of scholarships available through the CGA Educational Foundation and many have specific eligibility requirements. By completing one application, students will be considered for all scholarships for which they are eligible, however they may only be selected for one.
- The number of scholarships varies and range from $1,000 – $10,000 annually. Awards are not renewable.
- Students may reapply each year as long as they continue to meet the eligibility criteria.
- The scholarship will be applied to tuition, fees, books and supplies/equipment required for course load at accredited two or four year colleges/universities in the United States.
- Students may transfer from one institution to another and retain the award.
- Awards must be used during the academic term for which they are awarded barring illness, emergency or military service. Any deferral of the award must be approved by CGAEF.
How are recipients selected? What are the selection criteria?
An independent selection committee who have no connection with the CGA Educational Foundation will evaluate the applications and select the recipients. The use of this independent committee is designed to ensure the impartiality and confidentiality of the selection process. They will evaluate all applications and select the recipients considering:
- Academic achievements and records
- Extracurricular activities
- Community involvement
- Financial need (optional)
- Letter of recommendation (required only for applicants affiliated with Raley’s, Bel Air, Nob Hill, Food Source, and Ozark Trucking.)
Decisions of the selection committee are final and are not subject to appeal. No application feedback will be provided.
My parent makes me eligible. whose contact information should i include?
Applicants must register with their personal email address. The ‘My Profile’ page should reflect the applicant’s legal name and contact information. If the parent’s information is needed, it will be specifically requested on the application.
What is the scholarship timeline?
A new competition is announced and the application is made available on January 1 of each year. All applications and required documentation must be submitted by April 1. Applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in mid-June. Recipient checks will be issued in August.
What information will I need for my application?
You must submit your personal demographics, employer demographics including hire date, and the college you plan to attend in the fall. Your ACT and/or SAT scores (if you have taken them) and your high school class rank are requested. A high school transcript is required for freshman and sophomore applicants. If you are already a college student, you will be required to submit your most recent college transcript.
If your parent/guardian is the eligible employee, you will also be asked to provide their employment demographics.
For those applicants interested in applying for a financial needs-based scholarship, you are required to submit a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) from your FAFSA. If you do not submit your SAR, your application will not be considered for any financial needs-based awards.
How can I make changes to my application, or check to see if it is complete?
To monitor the status of your application and to make changes, log into your online account here. Allow five to seven business days after uploading documents for your status to update.
- Started: the form has been started but is not complete and will not be considered.
- Complete: all required forms and attachments have been received and your application will be considered for a scholarship.
You may also monitor the status of your attachments online.
- Not Received: the attachment has either not been received or has been rejected.
- Not Started: the form has not been requested or started.
- Requested: the form request has been created, but the form has not been started.
- Processing: the attachment has been received and is being reviewed.
- Rejected: the attachment was not accepted and has been rejected.
- Accepted: the attachment has been verified and accepted.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to monitor the progress of all application requirements to make sure the application is complete. The status Complete will display on your homepage when all forms have been submitted and all attachments have been verified.
a document I uploaded in my application is no longer displayed. Do i need to resubmit?
Previously uploaded documents that are no longer displayed with a status have been rejected. The most common reasons for a rejected document are as follows:
- The uploaded document is not one of the accepted file types: PDF, TIF, PNG, GIF, JPG, BMP, and XPS.
- The uploaded document was not the document requested.
- Not all pages of the document were contained in the file.
- The file could not be opened. It may have been corrupted or password protected.
Refer to the upload section of your application for the details of the required documents and upload a new file that meets the criteria.
How and when will i receive notification?
Notifications are sent to recipients and those applicants not selected for an award via email by mid-June. For recipients, an Acceptance link will be displayed on the home page following the email notification.
HOW WILL SCHOLARSHIPS BE AWARDED?
The awards are one-time, non-renewable grants. The amount may vary depending on the scholarship awarded. Checks will be mailed to each recipient’s home address in August and will be made payable to the institution the recipient identifies on their profile page. Scholarship recipients are responsible for delivering their checks to their colleges.
what are my responsibilities if i am chosen as a recipient?
Recipients must enroll in the Fall of the year in which their scholarship is awarded, and continue the entire academic year without interruption. Graduate students must enroll in either the following fall or spring semester.
Checks will be mailed to each recipient’s mailing address as listed on their scholarship application. Checks will be mailed in August and made payable to the institution. Recipients must deliver their scholarship check to the proper office at their institution with the attached instructions. Recipients must notify ISTS should their check not arrive within 30 days of the issue date.
are scholarships taxable?
Tax laws vary by country. In the United States, scholarship funds used exclusively for the payment of tuition or textbooks are normally not taxable. The scholarship recipient is responsible for taxes, if any, that may be assessed against your scholarship award. We recommend consulting your tax adviser for more guidance.
Who should I contact if I need more information about applying for a scholarship?
The California Grocers Association Educational Foundation’s Scholarship Program is managed by International Scholarship and Tuition Services, Inc., a firm that specializes in scholarship program administration. To contact the program manager, you may either:
- Email: ContactUs@applyists.com
- Phone: (855) 670-4787